Ports Design and Development - Engineering Solutions for Engines
Ports Design and Development
Work steps performed during port development:
- Port design
- Core and flow box production
- CAD/CAM-CNC core box production, RP-flow box
- Manufacture of resin cores
- Flow box assembly
- Flow development
- CFD analysis, PIF and LDA measurements
- Final port surfaces
- Final documentation of port surfaces
- Prototype and master core boxes
More recently, CAD/CAM together with Rapid Prototyping of test samples has been introduced for the design of port surfaces and manufacture of core boxes.
Since the very earliest days of AVL, a group of specialists has been responsible for the design and development of ports for diesel and gasoline engines. During this time a huge amount of knowledge and experience has been gained in designing high efficiency ports and creating optimum in-cylinder flow conditions.
Over the past 60 years far more than 1000 intake and exhaust ports have been designed by AVL.